The daily routine backup applied on your database can be different and versatile depends on the nature of your database. In this series of topics, we introduce five backup strategies which all works fine in the real world. You can refer the following articles for more details:
- All Full Backups - Routine Backup Strategies (1/5)
- Incremental level 0+1 Backups - Routine Backup Strategies (2/5)
- Incremental 0+1 cumulative Backups - Routine Backup Strategies (3/5)
- Balanced Incremental Backups - Routine Backup Strategies (4/5)
- Incremental Image Copies - Routine Backup Strategies (5/5)
In our design, we only set one cron job with one shell script to handle all the situations, no matter what the day of week is.
[oracle@primary01 rman_scripts]$ crontab -e
0 23 * * * /home/oracle/rman_scripts/run_rman_daily_backup.sh
The shell script will conditionally execute the right RMAN script according to their design to achieve the goal, which makes DBA focus on designing practical RMAN strategies.